BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, May 4, 2012

Book of Days: May 4th (May the 4th Be With You) & 29 Faces #5

It's May 4th... a Geek High Holiday!
To 'celebrate' I Jedi'd myself for today's Face in 29 Faces. 

Took as-I-went pictures that I *hope* will help you with a possibly new-to-you and yet super-easy technique for making Faces.
It's an old Art School Trick we used in both caricature and cartooning class to get a 'base' of a Real Face from a photo. 
***Pictures are in the opposite order of the instruction!***
Wanted to put the finished page at the top so it show up when linked places. :O)

Started with a printout of the FACE picture, printed to fit my Book of Days Journal: 9 X 7" Textbook I'm Altering (ie trashing!). 
The page was primed with white $ store acrylic Craft Paint (DecoArt), you can still see the text coming through.
The back of the printed picture was lightly scribbled over with the side of a piece of graphite, a soft larger pencil would work great too, or charcoal...
Then using a ball point pen the main features are outlined.When it's lifted there is a faint 'guide' that can then be worked with... more details sketched in with pencil, other elements added etc... I added the light-saber and Jedi cloak.
Traced over what I wanted in Sharpie PEN (BEST PEN EVER!) and added the title.
Then  the color was added. I used Stampin' Up! Markers... LOVE what they do on this paint, they go on and soak in a bit and fade so it gives a 'comic book' feel to the image and almost no pen strokes show. Blends wonderfully!
I then retraced the Title.
(Time Start to Finish: Less than an hour)
Ta-Da!
Sarah the Jedi.

 
 
 
 

4 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Very cool self portrait ~ and fun too!

KanataNewf said...

Wow - that is a very cool technique. Your page looks phenom!

Giggles said...

Gorgeous self portrait!! I love it!! Great technique to grasp the face concept better!! Thanks for sharing!!

Hugs Giggles...I look forward to more!!

Evil Edna said...

very cool, may well try this, thank you for the demo. slightly hung over from celebrating star wars day yesterday, tried a star wars that has made me feel a bit jabba -ish this morning.EE